Friday, February 7, 2014

http://www.pbs.org/art21/artists/do-ho-suh

Do-Ho Suh is a sculptor from Korea who focuses largely on telling his stories and life experiences through his artwork. A lot of his work is nostalgic of his life in Korea and he focuses a lot on human interactions with each other and with public space. I really enjoyed his pieces that emulated the architecture of his past homes. I thought that was so genius-a foldable, portable piece of fabric that replicates a place that is near and dear to you. I love discovering new places, but I also get incredibly homesick and a piece like this would serve me well. It gives a sense of security, safety and comfort. It's like going back in time and savoring moments you've enjoyed in the past. I also really enjoyed his work that included multiple replications of a single object-the school uniform, the dog tags, the miniature people. He really explores/challenges identity, originality, uniqueness. I also think a lot about the average every-day person; how many of us there are, how we interact with each other without a second thought. It's really kind of eerie when you actually consider how many people are out there, how different/alike we are, and all of the stories that every single person carries with them.

http://www.pbs.org/art21/artists/kara-walker

Kara Walker is an artist from California who creates silhouette works depicting themes of racism, slavery, drama, the shocking/unexpected, etc. I personally was blown away with her work. Not only is it incredibly beautiful and whimsical and mysterious and ominous, it also makes the viewer reflect on the glaring issues this country tends to ignore. I resonate a lot with her work. The subject matter of my artwork is also very twisted and theatrical, I like to tell stories with my art. I also explore themes of sexism, racism, homophobia and try to use my art to make people more aware of the systems our country has built itself upon. My favorite piece of Kara's was the one of her depicting a slave revolt; the slaves are disemboweling their master with a ladle, it is very graphic and the silhouettes intensify the sinister ambiance. I thought it was very clever to have the projector light, causing the viewer's shadow to be cast onto the work itself. It forces the viewer to be a part of the work. I think it is really symbolic as well. These viewers are also members of the country that builds itself on the systematic destruction of people of color, especially women of color. The viewers are forced to see that they are in actuality a huge part of this story, are responsible and are at fault.


1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy both of these artists and am glad you made a connection with each.

    KR

    ReplyDelete