Monday, January 20, 2014

http://www.pbs.org/art21/artists/arturo-herrera

Arturo Herrera is an artist from Venezuela who focuses largely on collage, photography and wall paintings. When watching this clip, I was extremely inspired by his technique of letting his film sit in water or coffee to give it this really cool, spontaneous effect. It reminded me a lot of the Ancient Chinese porcelain-crackling effect. I definitely want to try it out myself. I also really resonated with his pieces that incorporated images from childhood popular culture, like Dopey (Snow White was my absolute favorite film as a kid--I watched it about 5 times a day, not exaggerating), which I think was the point--to connect with people using symbols like that. I thought he made a really beautiful point about his abstracted art--how he takes images that are blatantly representing something, and then combines unrecognizable pieces of those images in a collage. It's really mysterious/secretive almost, making subtle references to many different things, which I really liked a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment